The cookie consent banners can be implemented on all Readymag paid plans and only for those projects that are mapped to custom domains.
The GDPR regulations that were issued in 2018 require putting a cookie consent banner on all websites collecting personal data. If your project is published under the readymag.com URL and doesn’t have a custom domain, you don’t need to do anything specific to make it GDPR-friendly: all such projects are displayed with a cookie banner by default.
However, if you use a custom domain and process personal data of your visitors, we recommend you take the following steps so that your project complies with the GDPR act.
1. Compile a list of personal data you collect.
In practice, there are three main types of personal data you might collect on your Readymag webpage:
- ‘Straightforward’ personal data (e.g. names, surnames, or e-mails of visitors), usually collected with forms.
- First-party cookies, created and used by your own code.
- Third-party cookies, used by third-party widgets.
2. Put together a clear Data Governance Policy
A Data Governance Policy is a document that informs visitors and other sides that might become interested (e.g. state), what exactly you do with their data. GDPR doesn’t offer strong regulations or formal restrictions on the data governance policy; the most important aspect is that it should be clear, without legalese or caveats.
3. Create a cookie consent banner and add it to your Readymag project
Before you start adding the cookie banner, please make sure that you are on a paid plan and your project is mapped to a custom domain.
On all Readymag paid plans, you can embed CookieBot, Cookiehub, or Iubenda—these providers are included to the list of our custom code exceptions. If you are on Professional or Custom plan that includes the Code Injection feature, you can select any cookie consent provider that supports Google Consent Mode.
Cookie consent providers may charge additional fees for use of their services. Check their pricing for more details.
Let’s see how to generate a cookie banner and integrate it into your project on the example of CookieBot:
- Sign up with Cookiebot.
- Сlick + next to Domain name and enter the domain you use for your project. Click 'Save' to submit changes.
- Configure the preferable settings in the Dialog, Declaration, and Content tabs. You can check the final appearance of the cookie banner by clicking on Preview.
- Move to the Your scripts tab and copy the generated code.
- Open your Readymag project and add a new Code widget where you want the Declaration to appear. Paste the Declaration script within the Widget Code tab and the Banner script into the <HEAD> section.
- Publish your project, and you are all set!
4. Set up Google Analytics
To ensure that cookies are collected correctly, it is important to remove Google Analytics ID from the settings of your project or profile page. You can find this setting in the Domain tab of your project settings and in the Public Profile section of the profile settings.
However, you will still be able to track analytics by enabling GA via Google Tag Manager. Please refer to this article to find the detailed instructions.